simple

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pinterest Gripes

I really hate pinterest for a lot of reasons, the first of them being my auto correct keeps changing that word to 'interest' instead. (I know what I wanna say, so let me say it!) Anyway. The pinterest issue I wish to address today is: So called "Real Women"

Pinterest is full of all those quotes and memes about "Real Women". The reason I'm griping on about this today is I saw on a friend's Facebook wall (oh, excuse me, 'timeline') this quote: "Real men like curves. Dogs like bones." (No offense to the friend, this quote just opened the floodgates of one of my pinterest gripes.)

I don't like my own tone. Let's start over.

Every girl is a real woman. She is because she was created by God to be so. She's real because she breathes and lives and loves. Nothing in that description has anything to do with how she is shaped or what she looks like. I know many women who have been and will always be very, very thin. That is simply how their genes are. Likewise, I know many women who have been and will always be rather large, and I know women of all the sizes in the middle. They are all "real".

Being real comes from your actions and behavior, not from anything aesthetic. It comes from caring about someone outside of yourself with all your heart. "Real" is passion, creativity, service, selflessness, charity, and respect for yourself and others. "Real" is working hard and sacrificing.

So can we all stop validating our own insecurities by defining everyone different from us "fake"?


These are my beloved freshman year roommates. Not one of us is shaped like the other. In fact, there were scant items in any of our closets that we could share with one another. Exhibit A:


That's her holding up my pants and me holding up hers. 

If you want to be real, and want "real men" to notice you, get out there and serve someone. Love something. Get off pinterest. Real men want real women, and real women are not defined by their bodies.

Pinterest Rant #1 over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...