simple

Friday, October 4, 2013

My Life is a Gift




Let's talk about what its like to be a hospital employee/nursing student.

You wake up six hours after you go to bed so you can make it to class. You return home two hours later, mess around on your computer for a while, spend some time in the Gospel of Mark (because I love the New Testament) and then proceed to go back to sleep so that you will be awake and alert during your upcoming night shift.

Hours later, you wake up to prepare a midnight snack to take with you on said night shift. You open a brand new can of spaghetti sauce, and then spend 10 minutes looking at google images of botulism-ridden cans trying to decide if the can is infected or not because of a dent in the top. Thought process goes something like this:

Well, its probably just a dent from being dropped or something. I'm probably even the one who dropped it. But maybe it really is infected. Dumping it out would be such a waste. I should just eat it. Botulism is a disease of the nervous system...how much can I afford to be paralyzed for a few weeks? Do you think they would freeze my grades where they are at right now if that happened? Is spaghetti sauce worth paralyzation? Probably not...I could just dump it out. Ugh that would be such a waste! Benji never wastes anything. I guess its not worth the risk, even if I am the one who dropped it in the first place....but remember that patient I had with botulism? That was scary....Bethany you would never have these issues if you didn't study them. 

Anyway. After getting over that hurdle (which included dumping out the completely new can of spaghetti sauce) and finishing your midnight snack preparations, you look down at your phone.

It is the hospital.

Putting you on call.

Which means, I'm not at work, so I could have gone to nanny my absolutely darling little baby, but I'm on call, so if I drove all the way up to Sandy to be with her, karma would bite me and they would call me back to Provo.

Also, if I chanced going to do an Endowment Session in the temple, they would call. So my focus the entire two hours would be off and stressed, so its not worth it.

But if I sit here, and blog about it, they won't call.

So. I'm grateful for nursing school and hospital jobs that save me from potential paralyzation.

And also, General Conference is tomorrow. It's like Christmas. I LOVE General Conference.
Everyone should watch it.

www.lds.org



1 comment:

  1. Haha! I feel like this all too often with food borne illnesses. Since I went to culinary school and studied food borne illness in depth, I have had that familiar thought process with dented or bulging canned goods. So silly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...