simple

Thursday, January 12, 2012

How I Feel about Airports and Hospitals


I love them. I love the long hallways, the busy-ness, the people, the rushing, the noises, the big glass windows. I love the food sold at both airports and hospitals, and I love the gift shops. In airports I love the flat-escalator-type-things (that's a technical term) and the luggage everywhere. In hospitals I love the really big, wide elevators and the doors that open when you flash your name badge. I love how airports smell like coffee and rubber and plastic and anticipation. I love the smell of hospitals, too: antiseptic and cotton and metal and a lot of hope.
    Most people don't like either of these places. I don't really know why I love them both so much, but I do. I get a thrill when I walk into either. And I've decided, they both have a lot in common.
     The airport is a place people come and go.
     The hospital is a place of birth and death.
     The airport gathers people of every ethnicity, every age, every experience.
     I've only ever seen some of the cultures I've experienced in a hospital.
     Airports have a common goal: get people what they need as soon as possible.
     Hospitals have a common goal: save lives as soon as possible.
     Airports bring loved ones to each other.
     Hospitals do, too.
     Airports also take loved ones away from each other.
     Hospitals do, too.

I guess the underlying common factor is they are both a metaphor for life. Life is hectic and exciting and stressful and fun and full of anxiety, anticipation, faith, and hope. Airports and hospitals are unpredictable and sometimes disappointing, just like life, but also lead to new adventures and experiences.

But the real question is, what would be more fun: riding on the luggage carousel, or having wheelchair races?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...