simple

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Professor Mallard Strikes Again


Another homework assignment turned blog-post. 




The things that occur in the natural world have long been a fascination and topic of pondering for me. When I was very small I learned that my third great-grandmother was a Native American Indian, and I immediately felt that this gave me a deeper connection to the earth than my peers had. Of course, this slight detail on my family history did not biologically contribute to my personal interest in the world around me, but it did give my adolescent mind validation to explore and find reason in natural occurrences. Similar to Aldo Leopold’s descriptions of oaks recording history and critters switching their alliances, I compare the growth patterns of sunflowers to the behaviors of people, which helps me come to terms with my world.

The first entry of Leopold’s that truly meant something to me is found on page 18. He describes the destruction of trees as they are cut down. I’ve always felt that it is a tragedy when trees are cut; humans and roads should move around the trees, not remove the trees to make room for us. Leopold makes the tree sound so resolute and unyielding when he writes “It is not until the transect is completed that the tree falls, and the stump yields a collective view of a century.” Every last fiber must be severed before the tree falls to the ground, and even then the stump leaves a record of everything that happened to the tree during its lifetime. The rings within the tree and the thickness of the bark on the outside are a memory of the years the tree spent growing, recording the history of the surrounding country in a beautiful, unique form.

Leopold goes on to describe this unconventional historian with the statement “by its fall the tree attests the unity of the hodge-podge called history.” When the tree falls, all the rings fall together. One layer cannot be removed individually. This fact can be used to motivate future generations to look upon the history of their families, cultures, and nations and ponder on what will fall or decay if they were to fall away from truths and traditions. As the tree illustrates, the past and the future lean on each other for their support.

I also found Leopold’s description of creatures’ continual changing alliances on page 29 profound and thought-provoking. All the animals and insects Leopold describes first lend their support to a tree or plant, and then become the thing most dangerous to its growth. This is classic example of survival. The creatures are never “helping” or “hurting” the plant life, rather they are doing whatever it is that is best for their own survival. Perhaps as humans we should examine the things we think are helping us: the Internet, media, fast food, drug cures, etc., and see if they are more to our detriment than our benefit. Nature is a reflection of truth; I honestly believe that the behaviors of the natural world can teach us how to operate in our modern civilizations.

Personally, I have an affinity for sunflowers. They are so bright and beautiful and are a representation and symbol of the sunshine that gives life to everything on earth. Also, they are not just aesthetically pleasing, but provide protein and other nutrients in their seeds. Sunflowers are yellow, which is my favorite color, and I love that even though I am considered to be a very tall girl, many sunflowers reach heights above my own.

However, it is the patterns that sunflowers follow that make them so noteworthy. They received their name not only from their appearance, but also because they always follow and face the sun. From the time that it rises in the east to when it sets in the west, the sun is followed by a host of smaller suns. I find the symbolism incredible. If we change only one letter, the sun becomes the Son of God and I find myself emulating a flower to turn my face and constantly follow Him. Likewise, in order to support their heavy seed filled heads, sunflowers must grow deep roots and strong stems. We as people and children of God must also grow deep roots in the gospel and strong stems of faith in order to keep from falling over and maintain our focus on the Son.

Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac was written from the perspective of someone with reverence and respect for all the happenings of nature around him, whether he is affiliated with religion or not. My personal reflection on nature reveals my deep reverence for God and all that He has created, and I don’t see much difference between my account and that of the author. Both Leopold and I have noticed and pondered on what others may have overlooked. Although only three moments in the natural world have been outlined, our modern culture can learn much about how to live and develop from nature’s example. As the centuries old hymn entreats, “all creatures of our God and King, lift up your voice and with us sing, Alleluia!” we should notice and appreciate the simple beauties of our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...