simple

Thursday, March 15, 2012

What's In A Name

When I was a little girl, I thought the most beautiful name ever was Ashley. I wanted to be Ashley with blonde hair and blue eyes like all of my Barbies.

When I got to be a little older, I wanted to move states so I could start school over where no one knew me and go by Christine, my middle name. I thought Christine was the most beautiful name ever and it was ruined by having Bethany in the front of it. Then I found out that Bethany means house of the poor and I thought "GREAT. ugly name, ugly meaning."

But now, I love my name. Legend has it that my dad picked out the name way back before my parents were even married, Bethany for the city 2 miles outside of Jerusalem where Christ stayed during Holy Week and Christine because it contains the word "Christ". So, I am Bethany Christine. If it wasn't so many syllables I think I would honestly go by the whole thing: "Hi, I'm Bethany Christine...."

I have also come to love the meaning, house of the poor. The theme scripture for my life is D&C 81:5, which says "Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees."
    I hope that my arms and my hands will become a house for those poor in spirit, poor in temporal need, poor in heart, and poor in hope.

This is also why I care so much that my name is not shortened to Beth. Beth is a beautiful name, but I am not Beth. I am Bethany.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...