simple

Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Lion King

Anyone who read my post yesterday knows I was feeling pretty low in pretty much every way.

After I wrote that post, I went to nanny the beautiful baby girl I get to nanny every week. She was feeling a little under the weather, so we cuddled on the couch and flipped through channels. She normally doesn't sit still long enough to read a book, let alone watch a movie, but when I found The Lion King showing on TV she shrieked "KITTY!!!" and I knew I had found a winner.

I think its been ten years since I've sat through The Lion King. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and she sat still for almost the whole thing. We really enjoyed ourselves.

Then, today was Stake Conference. I was conflicted on if I should go to the Singles Ward where my records are being transferred to, to my high school friend's mission farewell, or to Stake Conference with my family. Because Chloe was asked to speak, I decided to go with my family today.

Its interesting how Heavenly Father makes things work together for our good.

There was a talk given today directed towards the primary children, but it was really given for me. It was about The Lion King. Because I watched it last night, I was even more familiar with the story: Simba is the son of the King, the heir to the kingdom. His mentor, Zazu, is continually trying to teach him about his identity, but he rarely listens. Unfortunately, a terrible tragedy occurs for which Simba feels responsible. He is persuaded to believe that he no longer has a place in the kingdom, and his only option is to give up his birthright. So he runs away, and for a while tries to live a life with no worries, no responsibilities. Yet, he still doesn't feel quite right. In desperation, he calls out, "You said you'd always be there for me!"

This is when wise Rafiki comes and tells Simba "I know your Father, and I will show him to you!" By looking harder at his reflection, Simba sees the truth that Rafiki reveals: "You see, he lives in you." Simba then speaks to his Father, who tells him "Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are, and so have forgotten me."

It was no accident that I happened upon that movie last night, or that Sweet Baby was willing to sit through it with me. It was no accident that I chose to attend this Stake Conference where this talk was given. I needed to be reminded who I am. I needed to remember that I still have a place in this Kingdom, and I'm still an Heir. I am a daughter of God. He is the Father of my Spirit, and if I will look harder at my reflection, I will see that Spiritual DNA shining through.

Perhaps the whole thing may sound silly, but for me it was further evidence that God is aware of me as an individual. This whole thing was orchestrated to remind me that I am His. I have a birthright and He has a plan. And I never need to feel that I am not good enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...