simple

Sunday, August 14, 2011

I'm so Happy...



...with my life right now. I feel so blessed, so content. Here's where it started:

I went on Trek with my little sisters as a medic. Had a blast pulling out slivers, bandaging blisters, administering barrier cream for chafing, and threatening everyone to either drink water or get an IV. (No really, I taped an IV needle to my hat. And guess what? Everybody stayed hydrated!)
Aside from the medical stuff, I got to have a beautiful experience with my sisters. Remember the previous post about how pioneers are a big deal in my family? Trek was extra special because I was with them, especially the Women's Pull. I will never forget the feeling when I finally reached the top of the hill and saw my Emily running towards me, tears streaming down her face. The two of us then ran back down the hill to get Chloe and helped push her handcart up, because we weren't about to leave our sister without us.

The Sunday after Trek we had a combined lesson for Relief Society/Priesthood taught by the Bishop and his wife in my single's ward. Sister Sheppard taught a lesson on feeling content in our lives, and she shared a scripture that has really stuck with me:

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned,
in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."
-Phillipians 4:11

And it is so true! All of us have something we wish we had that we don't. People who are single wish they were married. (Some people who are married wish they were single) People who have jobs wish they didn't have to work, people without jobs wish they could work. People think "I'll be happy when _____" or "Life will be better when__________". The key is to be happy with whatever you've got going on now. Of COURSE there will always be things you wish you could change, but it's the process of finding joy in the quirks and imperfections that make life fun.

Then, I started a mad job hunt in Provo because school is starting (YES!!) and I knew that pretty soon 30 thousand college kids would descend and snatch up all the jobs so I better get on it! So I spent an entire day in Provo with a stack of resumes in hand, applying everywhere I was interested or looked like potential employers. I did the whole thing right, went dressed well and called everywhere back a few days later but....nothing. So I did it again! With a new stack of resumes and a new list of places to try, I went down to Provo. And let me tell you something, the Lord knows better than I do what is good for me. I was devastated when I didn't get a job I really wanted, and was instead blessed with the best job for me: folks, you are reading the words of the BYU Law School's newest secretary, and I am stoked about it. The schedule is perfect and it's on campus so I can walk.

I know the Lord blesses me a million times everyday. I'm so thankful for the smaller, everyday blessings I receive, like getting to work on time or being able to laugh at myself when I do something embarrassing. He is in every aspect of my life, and I am therewith content.




1 comment:

  1. So many times people fail to find joy in the journey. That means finding joy in the everyday things and being grateful for all thing...big and small. I love you Bethany and I want to be just like you and your Mommy when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...