simple

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sweet Heart



I sat with the sweetest angel today.
I was completely unprepared when I walked into her room. Emotion came over me so strong when I saw my sister, my Abby, lying so pale and still. There are tubes and IV's coming out of everywhere and bandages all over her chest. Poles and poles of monitors and fluid bags and medicine bags and blood pressure cuffs surround her bed and attach to the dozens of tubes. A big screen above her bed shows the beats of her heart.
I reached her bed and leaned over her, tears streaming down my face in gratitude that she made it through okay. She flopped her beautiful face over to me, her mind still hazy from all the drugs and gave me the sweetest smile. "That's the biggest smile she's given anyone all day." My dad said. I told her about the flowers I brought her that aren't allowed in her PICU room. She fluttered her eyes and went back to sleep.
Later I sat with just her and me in the room, holding her hand and stroking her hair. Emotion washed over me again. Part of me thinks "how is this fair?" and the other part whispers "you only feel love like this when you go through hard things like this." I'm so grateful to feel that kind of love.
I took the pink stethoscope off one of the poles and listened to her heart. Her beautiful, working heart. It sounds different than it used to, because now it works better than it used to. Then I held her hand again and joy rushed through me at the feel of her pulse beating against my palm.
I testify of the Savior Jesus Christ, who's heart once stopped and then began to beat again. I know He lives. I know His hands were in the events of today. I'm so thankful that had something gone wrong, or if something ever goes wrong with anyone in my family in the future, we are forever. Our hearts are sealed together forever. I'm reminded of the words of my mama's favorite hymn:
"Here's my heart, oh, take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above."

3 comments:

  1. I love you Bethany! I love your entire family! So glad I'm a part of your extended family and that we can all be there together! Many prayers for you and your family are being said. Keep feeling that love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to write! This is beautiful. We are so glad she is doing well. Thank you for sharing your testimony. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the most amazing best friend in the world. You are so strong Bethany. I admire that. And your family is incredible. Absolutely indescribable. I hope I can grow up and raise a family like your family. I am so proud of Abby. She is so grown up and strong.

    ReplyDelete

Miss BlogAlot:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...